Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Prim's Prop-er on Americana Manhasset

I'm constantly teetering between fascination and jealousy when it comes to my boyfriend's job. He handles props and builds sets for all sorts of insidery fashion media: shows, ad campaigns, catalogs, and recently the spring lookbook for Americana Manhasset, the Hamptons' answer to Madison Avenue.

While I will almost definitely never shop there (for budgetary reasons), I get downright giddy taking in the impossibly glam outfits. When I saw the new set, I grilled him on the clothes, but he schooled me on the surprising level of detail that goes in to these prop-lite shots.

Take this Michael Kors cocktail dress--my bf was in the water just off-camera, creating the ripples.


Or here, my eyes go straight to the Marcus Lupier dress, but a team of people ordered and assembled the background tent to offset its stripes.


Same with renting this pristine 60s-style speed boat to compliment vintagey Brooks Brothers suits.


A Ralph Lauren garden party dress gets an exotic treatment in this shot.


And here: an iPhone photo texted straight from the set in Miami (this is where the jealousy part usually comes in).

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful post! I love the little anecdote of each photo and it is so very true that all the works going behind each shoot is so intense yet subtle - the viewer will never know how much man-power really goes behind! the props are just as important as everything else, xx

    ReplyDelete