Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Prim Whim: St. Patrick

I forgot to wear green today. Terrible. Then I walked by my favorite tapas restaurant (Sala19) and their chalkboard said "St. Patrick was Spanish!" And I though, Was he? Thirteen years of Catholic schooling and I had no idea where he was born. I know he drove the snakes out of Ireland: the probably not true but very cool part of his story.

Turns out St. Patrick was born in Britain (I didn't find anything about Spain) and taken as a prisoner to Ireland by Irish raiders who attacked his family's estate. He escaped and eventually returned as a missionary where he mixed the native nature-based pagan religions in with Christianity. A big part of that original Irish religion was sun worship, which is why the Celtic cross has a circle (a sun!) behind it.

Learning a little bit of history makes me feel slightly better about forgetting such a great holiday. Maybe enough to invest in the Dublin Debutante dress ($108) from Mod Cloth for next year.


That or I'll just make my own Shamrock Shake, courtesy of Food Blogga.


1 comment:

  1. I threw on a green hat at the last minute. I don't like being pinched by strangers, and they sure don't like being yelled at for pinching. I appreciate the small history lesson as well... I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete