Monday, February 15, 2010

Prim Knickers and the Plaid Sandwich

I don't know if it was true love, my excitement at stumbling into a non-packed SoHo store on Fashion's Night Out, or the shot of Wild Turkey the manager served me (probably that last one)--but way back in September, I got a winter coat.

The Eva Wool Check from Dunderdon fits like it was tailor-made, keeps out 30 mph New York winds, and looks damn cute. It is also red and black plaid.

Now I don't shy away from things I love just because everyone else loves them too. I'm on Team Jacob, I request Single Ladies no matter the venue (even a Bushwick dive bar), and Omar is my favorite character from The Wire. But something about being pushed right up next to another person--sometimes two people--who are also wearing red and black plaid on the subway is completely demoralizing. I'm the meat in a plaid sandwich.

With the plethora of red tartan that's already out there, I need to get over this disloyalty fast. My theory is that we, as a society, can reach a plaid tipping point after which woodsy checks will become so common, my coat will be appreciated--not for its plaidness, but for the subtle fade of each square, the thickness of the wool, and the precision with which it was cut.

If you care to help my jacket and I in our mission, these are my top tartan picks:


The wide collar coat ($44) from Forever 21.



The Hurley Winchester coat ($54) from Tilly's.


And the Delia's Keegan coat ($50).

No comments:

Post a Comment